Personal branding has become a bit of a buzzword in modern marketing, but you might not feel it has anything to do with your wedding business. After all, you’re not Oprah. But you don’t have to be Oprah (or Seth Godin or Marie Kondo, or even Jasmine Star or Preston Bailey) for personal branding to be on your radar. In fact, personal branding is especially important for wedding pros, no matter how small your business. After all, it’s the people behind the brand that customers really fall in love with. This is especially true of millennials (i.e. your target market) for purchases as personal and emotive as booking a wedding supplier.
BUT WHAT IS PERSONAL BRANDING?
Essentially, it is the presentation of a person, with their unique skills and experiences, as a brand. It is the unique combination of what you have to offer, wrapped up in a neat little package. Effective personal branding includes:
- Creating recognition and trust between you and your clients
- Sharing your experience and credibility through your brand story
- Showcasing your brand values and processes.
HOW DO I DEFINE MY PERSONAL BRAND?
In order to create your personal brand, you must first understand and define it. Start by asking yourself the following questions and really taking some time to consider your answers.
- Who are you?
- What makes you unique?
- What is your vision for your personal brand?
- What is your goal with personal branding?
- What are your professional goals?
- Who is your audience? Who can you help?
- How can you help them?
- What makes you different to your competitors? What’s your X factor?
- What makes you reliable? Trustworthy?
- How do you prove that? What’s the evidence?
HOW DO I SHOWCASE MY PERSONAL BRAND?
Once you have established your personal brand, it’s time to share it. You can do this in a number of ways, across various channels. You may concentrate more on some than on others, but the important thing is that your brand message is consistent across all of them. Here are some of the places you can showcase your personal brand:
- Web copy
- Online profiles
- Social media posts
- In person events and networking
- Brand imagery
To me, brand imagery is one of the most important ways to get your personal brand across. We work in a visual industry, where images are the quickest way to grab someone’s attention and stand out as ‘their kind of person’. In fact, it’s this passion for helping wedding pros create beautiful brand imagery that led me to co-found The Brand Studio!
TOP TIPS FOR CREATING A FANTASTIC PERSONAL BRAND
- Don’t try to be all things to all people. You can’t be liked by everyone, and no matter how well you put your personal brand together, not everyone will connect with what you have to offer. And that’s okay! Focus on those who like you for you instead of trying to shift and change to suit the current trend or fad.
- Be genuine. The truth is that people can see through fakery. Keep your brand meaningful and authentic, and let it reflect the brand values that truly fire you up!
- Tell a story. Human beings are naturally curious (which is a nice way of saying we’re all a bit nosy!) and love to find out about the person they’re working with. Build an engaging and relevant story around your brand to engage with them – and keep them engaged!
- Be consistent. Don’t keep changing your brand message! Of course, you will find that you evolve and develop over time, but if you’re always changing your opinion, style and voice, you’ll look flaky. There’s no quicker way for an audience to lose trust in you than a lack of consistency, and once lost, it’s very hard to win that trust back again.
Want to get some beautiful new brand imagery in time for 2020? The Brand Studio is now booking for October and November 2019 brand sessions.